DA persuades Orange police to not release video from last month’s mass shooting

Latest news

Orange police on Wednesday, April 21, announced they would be releasing body camera footage, 911 calls and information about the mass shooting that left four dead last month – but changed course as a press conference was to take place after a request from District Attorney Todd Spitzer.

Spitzer and Orange police discussed the footage while dozens of reporters, photographers and police personnel waited at police headquarters for more than an hour for the overdue announcement.

Eventually, Orange police Lt. Jennifer Amat made a brief statement saying the district attorney advised against releasing the footage for fear it would impact court proceedings.

“We had intended on releasing body-worn camera footage from the initial officers who responded to the scene,” Amat said.

“However, moments ago, the Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer notified our team that the release of this video may impact the successful criminal prosecution of this case.”

Amat mentioned that Spitzer had previously viewed the footage.

“As you know, justice for the victims and their families is our top priority,” she said.

Amat did not take questions from reporters afterward.

On Thursday, April 1, 2021, Orange police named Aminadab Gaxiola Gonzalez, 44, as the suspect in a mass shooting a day earlier at 202 W. Lincoln Ave., in Orange, CA. (Photo by Paul Bersebach, Orange County Register/SCNG)

Meanwhile the accused shooter, Aminadab Gaxiola Gonzalez, remains hospitalized and unable to communicate, forcing his initial court appearance to continually be delayed. It was once again delayed on Wednesday when attorneys said he was still unable to fully communicate.

Orange police have said that the Wednesday, March 31 mass shooting that left four dead and one woman in critical condition stemmed from personal and business relationships that Gonzalez, 44, had with the victims.

On that evening, Gonzalez entered the office building on West Lincoln Avenue that housed Unified Homes, a real estate business, and opened fire.

By the end of shooting, police said, Gonzalez was shot and wounded and had killed Luis Tovar, 50, his daughter Jenevieve Raygoza, 28, longtime employee Leticia Solis Guzman, 58 and 9-year-old Matthew Farias.

Matthew’s mother, Blanca Tamayo, was critically wounded.

Police later found a backpack they believed belonged to Gonzalez. Inside there was pepper spray, handcuffs and ammunition. He had secured the gates in and out of the building with bicycle cable locks, delaying officers’ entry in.

The shooting prompted an outpouring of grief for the victims, many of whom were family members. Memorials were erected in front of the office complex and vigils were attended by family, friends and residents of the city who were shaken by the events.

Related Articles

2 weeks after mass shooting in Orange, medical state of accused shooter has stalled court proceedings

After Orange shooting, one man ponders his lost world

Candlelight vigil is held for victims, families at scene of Orange mass …read more

Source:: Los Angeles Daily News

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *