Bodies of Marines and sailor recovered from the seafloor off San Clemente Island

Latest news

The bodies of seven Marines and a sailor found inside a 26-ton Marine Corps seafaring vehicle were raised from the ocean floor on Friday, Aug. 7, a week after they sank during a training accident off San Clemente Island.

Families were notified Friday by visits from Marine Corps officers and chaplains. They will get a chance to see their loved ones during an “honorable carry” at Naval Base San Diego as Navy and Marine pallbearers place their flag-draped coffins aboard an aircraft headed to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. At the Air Force base, military personnel will conduct an honorable transfer, and the servicemen will later be released to their families according to their wishes, Marine Corps officials said.

“The agony of waiting is an unimaginable pain,” said Evelyn Baltierra, who was relieved to get the news that her son, Pfc. Bryan Baltierra, was found. “We now know that my son will be coming home soon to rest in peace. We are so grateful for the efficiency of the military’s rescue efforts.”

It was exactly one week ago, that Marine Corps officials notified her and her family that he was missing.

Pfc. Bryan Baltierra, 18, of Corona, is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday. (Courtesy of the Baltierra family)

U.S. Navy Hospitalman Christopher Gnem, 22, of Stockton, is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday. (Courtesy of Facebook)

Sound
The gallery will resume inseconds

Lance Cpl. Marco A. Barranco, 21, of Montebello, is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military. (Courtesy of Barranco Family)

Cpl. Cesar A. Villanueva, 21, of Riverside, is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday. (Courtesy of Facebook)

Pfc. Evan Bath, 19, of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday. (Courtesy of Facebook)

Pfc. Jack Ryan Ostrovsky, 21, of Bend, Ore. is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday.

Lance Cpl. Chase D. Sweetwood, 19, from Portland, Ore. is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday.
(Courtesy of Niki Stockdale via Gofundme.com)

Lance Cpl. Guillermo S. Perez, 20, of New Braunfels, Texas is among those presumed dead off San Clemente Island following a deadly military training accident last week, the military confirmed Monday.
(Courtesy of David Latigo via Gofundme.com)

Family and friends of Lance Cpl. Marco Barranco gathered for a candlelight vigil in front of his family home to mourn his death, in Montebello, on Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020. Barranco was one of eight Marines …read more

Source:: Los Angeles Daily News

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *